Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Good News Story About Photographer Access

Delta Regional Jet About to Land (Canon XSi).

I received very good news today.  I now have permission to take photos inside the terminal at National on Saturday.  I am looking forward to it.  The weather is supposed to be good that day too.

I was originally planning to go to the airport on Monday morning of this week, Memorial Day.  Last week someone on a photography forum suggested that I should be careful.  My thought was, 'You're right.'  I looked at the airport's website for information regarding photography, and found nothing.  I contacted the facility folks at the airport last week and they responded within a day.  I'd told them who I was and my intentions.  The person who responded asked a few other questions, and told me what they expected of amateurs and professionals; I'm clearly the amateur.  Their greater concern is for the passengers' privacy, a reasonable position, that.  I changed my plans so that were I to go, it would be on Saturday the 30th.  Today, Thursday May 28 I received official permission.

This shouldn't be a story per se.  I've read of cases where photographers encounter difficulties with law enforcement officials.  Doing a little homework up front has made this a non-issue.  We hear all of the bad stories.  This is one of those Good Ones.  You need to hear of these too.  Thank you, Sir.

My only hope is that I'll be up to the photographic challenges of the day on Saturday.  I think it will go just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment