Tuesday, May 12, 2009

SoFoBoMo - It Begins

Approaching National Airport (Canon G9).

Today began the SoFoBoMo event for me, May 12, 2009.  This is one of around 175 shots I took this evening, all with the Canon G9.  The weather was finally good on a day when I could fit the start of my SoFoBoMo project, Airport, into my schedule.  It was mostly sunny and breezy, with temperatures in the mid 60s (upper teens).  I'd planned to go to the north side of the airport first, but the winds dictated that I go to the south side.  Ya gotta take 'em when ya get 'em.

The photo above was taken as a Northwest Airlines jet was preparing to land at National.  The Capitol is below the aircraft on the left, and the airport surveillance radar is below and to the right.

I went into work early today and left early.  After work I first went to Daingerfield Island, just south of National.  Winds were generally from the north, so arrivals were from the south and departures were to the north.  There was lots of traffic at the airport today.  I stayed for awhile at the south side, watching planes arrive and depart.  There were students in sailboats on the Potomac, as well as one long rowing boat.

After taking many photos from Daingerfield Island, I ate a picnic dinner.  I had a turkey sandwich with habañero sauce, dates, and a Coke.

After dinner I went to Gravelly Point at the north side of the airport.  Some of the photos I took were much better in that there were multiple aircraft in many photos, as well as birds.  A few of the photos show one aircraft departing and one or more in line to land.  As I said, there was lots of traffic.  It was also rush hour.

I have at least a couple more trips I want to take to the airport for the SoFoBoMo.  The primary shots will be taken with the G9.  I want to get up to speed on the XSi however to take some shots with that, potentially including them in the book.

Overall it was a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment